Re: central authentication with LDAP

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:43, Tim Uckun wrote:
> >Using the "-x" switch to disable SASL is one solution to this (and it's
> > quite adequate for localhost connections).  For network connections you
> > may want to get SASL working (I don't know how to do this) or to use TLS
> > (not currently supported in Debian packages last time I checked).
>
> Tried that but it didn't work either.

What does it do?  Please give us the command line you used and the errors
that resulted when using the "-x".

> > > but /etc/init.d/slapd stop will not stop slapd. killall -9 slapd will
> > > stop it.
> >
> >Strange.  Sounds like a buggy init script.  A new set of OpenLDAP packages
> > is due soon, hopefully they'll involve a re-write of the start scripts.
>
> It's not the init script. I tried starting it by hand with the same result.

The init script is /etc/init.d/slapd.  If "/etc/init.d/slapd stop" doesn't
stop it then the init script is buggy.

> > > If I start it by hand /usr/sbin/slapd -d 256  the first thing it says
> > > is.. daemon: socket() failed errno=22 (invalid argument)
> > > then it starts and starts saying
> >
> >The slapd doesn't display enough debugging info.  You'll have to strace it
> > to find out what that error means exactly.
>
> Actually after it spit out a few thousand connect messages it locked up the
> computer. The computer kept saying no free files. I had to reboot using the
> switch!. I went home after that. Something is very very broken but I have
> no idea what it is..

Sounds like you have some other problems.

I suggest changing the init script to run "ulimit" before starting slapd to
limit the number of files it can access.  Also change the sysctl entries for
the number of files and inodes to double both of them.  Then try it again.