Re: central authentication with LDAP

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:10, Tim Uckun wrote:
> >If the LDAP server accepts the connection and just does nothing then
> > things can get bad.
>
> I am having a problem like this (I think).
> I installed slapd using apt-get and it did not complain. But very strange
> things are happening.
> When I do an ldapsearch it hangs for a long time and then returns with
> "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server"

Using the "-x" switch to disable SASL is one solution to this (and it's quite
adequate for localhost connections).  For network connections you may want to
get SASL working (I don't know how to do this) or to use TLS (not currently
supported in Debian packages last time I checked).

> but /etc/init.d/slapd stop will not stop slapd. killall -9 slapd will stop
> it.

Strange.  Sounds like a buggy init script.  A new set of OpenLDAP packages is
due soon, hopefully they'll involve a re-write of the start scripts.

> If I start it by hand /usr/sbin/slapd -d 256  the first thing it says is..
> daemon: socket() failed errno=22 (invalid argument)
> then it starts and starts saying

The slapd doesn't display enough debugging info.  You'll have to strace it to
find out what that error means exactly.