Re: Closest to Debian

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:22, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > (as mentioned earlier in the thread, software RAID yields unacceptable
> > > performance when there are problems, so for now we'll be going with
>
> the
>
> > Use the latest version of LILO, put the LILO boot sector on the start of
>
> the
>
> > RAID device for /boot (NB this means you can't use XFS for the file
>
> system
>
> > that contains /boot), and install a debian-mbr on both disks.  Then if
>
> the
>
> > first disk dies you should be able to just swap the disks and have it
> > bootable again!
>
> Unfortunately, if this happens at 3am in the morning, no one wants to go
> and manually swap the disk caddies (thats the name for the part that holds
> the disk, right?).

That's only an issue if the first drive dies and at the same time something
forces a system reboot.  What's the chance of those two things happening at
the same time while not rendering the machine totally unusable (IE dead
motherboard or something equally serious)?

> If we go the hardware route, this *should* not be
> required as the hardware *should* handle that transparently. Or so I hear.

True.

> We have a number of "managed" dedicated servers where we do everything...
> those are a real hassle to work all the time, but what you pay is what you
> get (for the clients). However, I've never had the courage to do a BOFH
> act... have you? ;-)

What do you mean by a "BOFH act"?  The answer is probably.  ;)