Re: Closest to Debian

> If you install hardware that requires a binary-only driver then that's a
> mistake you will probably regret for years.  Use software RAID, spend
more
> money to get a Mylex DAC960 with SCSI drives, do anything but using a
> binary-only driver.

Point taken.

As far as I can see, only 3ware has an open source IDE RAID driver
available. Everyone else has binary-only ones. SO... I guess we'll be
spending a bit more money and buying the 3ware driver.

(as mentioned earlier in the thread, software RAID yields unacceptable
performance when there are problems, so for now we'll be going with the
hardware RAID. As usual, all this was suppose to be implemented yesterday,
if you know what I mean).

Hope our clients (your's too) know the trouble us sysadmins go through ;-)