Re: Closest to Debian

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:35, Jason Lim wrote:
> Of the Linux distributions supported by Promise (at
> http://support.promise.com/Linux/Default.htm), which is "closest" to
> Debian. That is, which requires the least modification to get working with
> Debian unstable?
>
> RedHat
> 6.2/7.0/7.1
>
> SuSE
> 7.1/7.2
>
> OpenLinux 3.1
>

> TurboLinux Server 6.5
>
> I'm running the 2.4.17 kernels, so... I'm GUESSING Redhat 7.1 would be
> closest since 7.1 ships with a 2.4 kernel? Perhaps there are some other
> things to consider as well?

The Red Hat version only supports kernel 2.4.2, expect it to fail on 2.4.17+
because there have been significant changes.  Also expect it to work on the
Red Hat 2.4.2 kernel but not a standard 2.4.2 kernel because Red Hat apply
significant patches to their kernels.

I recommend that you avoid purchasing from companies that only provide binary
kernel modules.  When you use such modules you taint your kernel (thus making
the kernel developers unwilling to look into any bug reports you might file),
and you make it very difficult for yourself when it comes time to upgrade.

I suggest doing one of two things:

1)  Download a kernel rpm for Red Hat and use alien to install it.

2)  Use another hardware supplier.