Re: Closest to Debian

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:54, Jason Lim wrote:
> > If you install hardware that requires a binary-only driver then that's a
> > mistake you will probably regret for years.  Use software RAID, spend
>
> more
>
> > money to get a Mylex DAC960 with SCSI drives, do anything but using a
> > binary-only driver.
>
> Point taken.
>
> As far as I can see, only 3ware has an open source IDE RAID driver
> available. Everyone else has binary-only ones. SO... I guess we'll be
> spending a bit more money and buying the 3ware driver.

OK.  Incidentally you might want to get on the mailing list for discussing
IDE RAID.

Send a message to majordomo@lists.math.uh.edu with
"subscribe linux-ide-arrays" in the body.

When 3ware dropped their IDE RAID everyone on that list hassled them, so they
started making them again.  The people on that list seem very happy with the
3ware hardware.  When 3ware dropped it people there were putting in emergency
orders for the IDE controllers they would need for the next few years (so
they seemed happy to use them even if the company dumped them).

> (as mentioned earlier in the thread, software RAID yields unacceptable
> performance when there are problems, so for now we'll be going with the

Use the latest version of LILO, put the LILO boot sector on the start of the
RAID device for /boot (NB this means you can't use XFS for the file system
that contains /boot), and install a debian-mbr on both disks.  Then if the
first disk dies you should be able to just swap the disks and have it
bootable again!

> Hope our clients (your's too) know the trouble us sysadmins go through ;-)

Yes, my client knows about this well.  They do some of the sys-admin work
themselves (everything that's not really hard).  When anything related to
binary kernel modules gets done I get called, often several times!