distupgrade from potato to testing with soft-raid

1 - I don't want to distroy this server (potato/soft-raid) wich was built
before/by-someone-else, but I wonder if it's not too dangerous to try a
dist-upgrade (regarding to the soft-raid system that I don't know very
well/at all). Don't worry guys, I gonna do some tests before doing it, I'm
just looking for feedback.

2 - I'd like to have SSH2 with SFTP working on it, what will occure if I
apt-get install the woody packet on the potato, how to do it? I'm remotly
connected via a ssh console. I did that without any trouble with a regular
upgrade (complete dist-upgrade via ssh on a brand new system) but I didn't
install remotly the woody SSH on the potato.

That's all, TIA

Alexis