Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems

<quote who="I. Forbes">

>     Are there many xfs users our there?  Is the development active?
>     If not is it because the xfs is stable, or has the xfs initiative
>     lost momentum?

My home machine:

:r! mount | grep hd

/dev/hda2 on / type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/hdc2 on /var type xfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/hdc3 on /home/music type xfs (rw,noatime)

Remember that XFS has had a long time to mature as part of IRIX. Only the
port to Linux could be seen as unstable, the filesystem itself is long
proven.

XFS lost a bit of momentum as Linuxcare pulled out of the porting efforts,
but I still use the SGI CVS kernels, which are regularly updated.

XFS is really good stuff, has good tools (reiser does not), and has a long
track record of stability. Add POSIX ACLs and the other advanced features,
and you have a kickarse filesystem (particularly good for a reliable SAMBA
machine, as it happens).

- Jeff

--
   "Can we have a special TELSABUG category, and everything gets dropped
                     to fix them first?" - Telsa Gwynne