From: Ted Knab [mailto:tjk@breezysolutions.com] On Behalf Of Thedore
Knab
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 1:57 PM
To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: nameservers open to world - with test output

It has recently came to my attention that anyone can use our company's
nameservers.

I recently setup my home machine to use the company's nameserver to
confirm this.

I was wondering if there was anyway to prevent people from using our
company's NS for their personal servers ?

Would the extra traffic generated cause any problems on our network that
I may not be aware of ?

Test Confirmation that our NS is open to world: |

-----------------------
Step one: lookup name |
-----------------------

mylinux machine$ whois ourdomain.com
Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

 Domain Name: ournameserver.com
 Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
 Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
 Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
 Name Server: NS1.ournameserver.net
 Name Server: NS2.ournameserver.net
 Updated Date: 27-oct-2001

Step two: change /etc/resolv.conf to the following |

search ournameserver.com
nameserver 123.123.123.123 # nameserver1
nameserver 123.123.123.134 # nameserver2

Step three: sample run  |

mylinux machine$ nslookup www.debian.org

Server: ournameserver.com
Address: 123.123.123.123