Re: Apache suEXEC Question

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 02:09:03PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> dunno if this is already what you were doing, but why not use proftpd
> which can restrict users to their own home directory? it's not quite the
> same as chroot (because you don't need to copy /etc, /usr/bin, /lib, and
> so on into each home dir) but it gives a similar affect.

For ftp I already do that. This box does provide shell access though. That's
the reason I was looking at things like FreeVSD (looks good and they 'say'
they are working on a Debian port but no developer has ever answered my
questions about it).

The apache problem has been solved so the home dir's can be 700'ed the users
and I don't want to make them use rbash (since many of the users are
programmers this would be silly) so I'll have to devise some other means of
securing the box a bit more.

I know for one I'll be changing php to run in SAFE_MODE :)

Thanks for all the help.

A.Sleep