Re: portslave

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:32, I. Forbes wrote:
> > Hopefully I'll have one for you tomorrow.  I'll try and back-port the
> > main ppp package at the same time.  Then you'll get the latest pppd along
> > with the Portslave that uses the regular pppd (saves memory).
>
> Thanks, I am looking forward to that.
>
> How does portslave work with pppd, and which versions of pppd
> (patched or unpatched) do you need for kernel 2.2 (which I am still
> running) and kernel 2.4 (which will be the next upgrade)

Portslave is designed to work with pppd 2.4.0 or 2.4.1 (I recommend 2.4.1).
With the latest package in unstable it uses the standard Debian pppd to save
disk space.  In other situations it has it's own pppd binary.

> > Tell me exactly what you were trying to do and how it failed, if the
> > current version can't handle it easily then I'll add some new features.
>
> With mgetty I had a line in my mgetty (on one line):
>
> U*      uucp    @       /usr/bin/ssh -t -e none uucp@uucp.isp.com
> /usr/sbin/uucico -l -u @
>
> The uucp clients were not in the radius server at all.  This started a
> session on our uucp server which did the authentication.
>
> Now I have in pslave.conf
>
> conf.ssh        /etc/portslave/scripts/ssh-script
>
> And the file referenced above looks like this (mind the line wrap):
>
> #! /bin/bash
> #
> su uucp -c "/usr/bin/ssh -t -e none uucp@uucp.isp.com
> /usr/sbin/uucico -x3 -u $LOGNAME"
>
> I have now added all my uucp accounts to radius, with the following
> settings:
>
> 	User-Service-Type = Login-User,
> 	Login-Service = Ssh

A neat hack.  However if you can give me a detailed suggestion about a good
generic way of doing this sort of thing then I'd be happy to implement it.

> Another comment.  Portslave locks the serial port.  With mgetty it is
> still posible to use the port for dialing out, and even for faxing.  So
> with the a small multipurpose installations, mgetty may have
> advantages over portslave.

I have been thinking of implementing a way of telling Portslave to pass the
port to another program to allow minicom or a FAX transmission to take the
port.

> > Also the recent versions have many more features regarding logins other
> > than PPP/SLIP, whatever your problem was I'm sure it's a lot easier to
> > solve now than a year ago!
>
> Is it possible to call up the patched pppd from mgetty and use
> radius authentication and accounting?

Sure you could have the mgetty detect the PPP frames and run pppd with
appropriate parameters to load the Portslave library.

> It would be realy nice if the above were true.  It would also be nice if
> we could combine mgetty with features of faxgetty from the hylafax
> package.  Then we could have one "answer the modem" package

I've been thinking of doing that.  However I have no fax hardware.  If
someone suggests which code I should use as a fax code base and is prepared
to test it for me then I'll add fax support to Portslave.