Re: portslave

Hello Russell

I am busy testing a portslave server to replace my old ancient
Cyclades-Y based terminal server.

The old one ran mgetty and a pppd patched for radius
authentication via the radius client library.  The patches have not
been updated since pppd version 2.2 and the old machine still has
a 2.0 series kernel.

I am using portslave 2000-12-24 which I built on potato from a deb
source archive a while back and kernel 2.2.19. It seems to work
and we will go "live" in a few days.

Do you know of a "potato" deb for the latest version, or if you have
suggestions on how to get it to compile on potato, please let me
know.  I ran into problems with an unsupported "debhelper" version.
 Upgrading debhelper would require upgrading perl, by the time I
have done that it wont look like a "potato" system any more.

I am also not too sure if I agree with your comments on portslave
doing everything than mgetty can do.  I had a big battle to get
portslave to work with my old modem to modem uucp clients.

Regards

Ian