Re: Router machine falls into APM sleep :(

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:12:48PM +0300, Dmitry Litovchenko wrote:
> Hello, respectable ISP community :)
>
> I am Internet-administrator in University (see my email :) and on
> small ISP. Got one problem with my router PC. All of my PCs are
> Debians and one onf them, approx. month ago installed directly from
> Internet (with boot floppies and LAN cable) if this matters.
>
> So this PC got an ugly habit to go to APM (or whatever?) sleep if
> not used for some time. This is not bad, but it holds leased line
> client connected to 10Mbit NIC and 6 dialin modems on multiport
> card... At this time they cannot work at all, modems accept login
> but pppX interfaces do not route! Leased client can ping our server
> but can't ping Internet. If one press any key (for example Shift)
> on Router keyboard, routing quickly goes up and all things restore.
>
> No APM daemons were found running in memory using 'ps fax' command.
> No APM options were sut up in BIOS (afair) and it has set up in
> BIOS to wake on any events, including LAN events.
>
> Please tell me where to dig? My boss kicks me every day for this :)

Try passing "apm=off" to the kernel at boot time (you can do this at
the lilo prompt manually or as an "append" parameter in the lilo.conf

I'd also double check that all BIOS options are set correctly ... this
sounds a bit fishy.

Finally, this might actually be acpi at work ... you can also pass
"acpi=off" as a kernel boot parameter if this is the case.

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.