Re: Maildir vs mbox

JPS <jpstewart@carbonmedia.com> writes:

> We use sendmail WITH maildir at my site. Mailbox delivery is not a function of
> of the MTA per se. At least in the case of sendmail, it is handled by the local
> delivery agent (procmail in our case).

This is one thing I had meant to look into.  I have disabled procmail on
postfix/maildir sites to this point because by default postfix delivers to
mbox format folders ... I know it supports maildir just need to do the
reading.

> You are discussing three separate and unrelated services here: The imapd, sshd,
> and sendmail.  I believe that the ssh issues might be even more unrelated
> (performance-wise), and at least partly due to DNS resolution and/or
> authentication issues.

I was just giving examples of the performance I was getting from the machine,
they are unrelated.

The SSH problem is not reverse DNS or authentication, the system is behind a
firewall with SSH being forwarded to the private IP machine, we have reverse
DNS installed for all of the customers private zones, for their public zones
as well as for the IP of our firewall (that I connected from).

> Understandable. Sounds like a case for maildir...(and courier-imap if you can handle
> a sealed server).

Are you saying this because of the insecurity of the IMAP protocol
(plain-text authentication and transfers) or because you feel there are
particular vulnerabilities in courier-imap?

> How did postfix get into this? Anonymous ftp to ftp.carbonmedia.com. Go to the
> sendmail-maildir folder. It contains all the software you need and some docs.
> Even a "dia" diagram of our mail system configuration. It should start you off
> in the right direction with sendmail. (We use pop3 instead of imap, but skip over
> that part). We process upwards of 60,000 pieces of email a day with heavy custom
> filtering (antivirus, etc.) on a single machine with almost no noticable load.

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at your documentation!  The only reason
I mentioned postfix (and plan to switch to it) is because I am very
comfortable with it and setting it up to do maildir is a one line command in
/etc/postfix/main.cf "home_mailbox = Maildir/".

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@starnix.com>                          Starnix Inc.
Telephone: (905) 771-0017                       Thornhill, Ontario, Canada