Re: Cyrus or Courier?

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 20:49, Haim Dimermanas wrote:
>  I am in the process of setting up an email system that will host
> thousands of domains, many aliases per domain as well as forwarding
> capabilities on a per-domain basis.

I am currently doing exactly the same thing.

>  As far as the MTA is concerned, my choice is postfix. After reading the
> postfix-users mailing for a week (~60 msg a day), I think I got a good
> feeling about how postfix works.

I am working with LDAP and I have got a problem with Postfix.  If I have an
alias that expands to several local addresses which are also in LDAP then it
will give LDAP timeouts inappropriately.  In one test I had a reasonably fast
machine (P3-650, 256M, 10G IDE hard drive but all data fit into the cache)
and delivery to 6 mail boxes caused an LDAP timeout (timeout was 50 seconds).

I believe that this may be a bug in Postfix and intend to fix it or report it
if I can't fix it myself, but currently I have not been able to spare enough
time to do either.

Another option is Exim.  I have been hearing many good things about it, I
have been a totally satisfied Postfix user for some time and now I think that
I should give Exim a test...

>  I am now confronted with choosing a good Local Delivery Agent. I heard
> great things about Cyrus so I gave it a shot. After realizing that the
> HOWTO was out-of-date (damn!) and that the Cyrus documentation was
> somewhat cryptic, I am now considering Courier.

I have heard reports that Cyrus doesn't scale well for more than 20,000
users.  I want 100,000 or more so I think it won't do the job.

Also Cyrus uses it's own database for mail storage.  I don't want that, I
want to use Maildir so that I can use the range of Maildir based utility
programs.

Courier is something that I am considering as I think it may do the job.

>  What I need is something that is scalable, reliable and working with a
> database (MySQL first, maybe Oracle later on). Between Cyrus and
> Courier, which one do you recommend? Please note that I am not trying to
> start a flame war, I just need to make an important decision.

I am using LDAP not a database.  LDAP allows replication and OpenLDAP is
free.  Free databases don't do replication, and Oracle Parallel Server costs
huge amounts of money.  I want to have a network configured such that any
machine can die without stopping the users from getting their mail.  If the
primary LDAP dies then users can't change their passwords until I switch one
of the slaves to become master (5 minutes work).  But not being able to
change a password is no big deal.
With a database back-end if the database server dies then you're stuffed.