RE: Machine Registration

I stayed in the Philadelphia Central City Marriott a little while ago, and
they had a great third-party provided product called STSN(?).  It was a
little box with an ethernet port that worked instantly with no difficulties.
It could assign settings to you based on DHCP if your laptop required that,
but if you used a static IP and already had a default gateway configured it
would simply operate promiscously and, I assume, rewrite the destination MAC
address of all ports you transmitted on the segment to the MAC address of a
router someplace in the hotel, and forwarded the packets to the segment that
router lived on.

I was skeptical when I read the instructions that claimed no setup was
required, but it worked fine with both my laptop, setup for a static IP and
a default gateway IP that was not on the segment, as well as my girlfriend's
laptop, which was setup for DHCP.

The Cisco technology I think some posters are reaching for is called a
"Private LAN", by the way.  You can read about it on CCO.  I don't know if
you could accomplish the same thing the Marriott's black box did, but given
the layer3 features and private lan technology on the Catalyst 6000/6500
series routers I suspect you could come up with something both workable and
secure.

If you read up on Private LANs and don't grok it, I could provide an
explaination.  The clue level on this thread has been higher than most on
this list (thankfully, stuff like this is why I remain subscribed) but this
is an advanced networking topic most people have no experience with.

- jsw