Re: Machine Registration

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:28:54PM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> Hubs (shudder) and switches (even most Cisco stuff) would allow snooping,
> break two 10.0.0.1 customers from working, broadcast collisions, gateway
> and next hop collisions, etc...
>
> The concept is the customer is directly connected to an individual port[1],
> capable of Gateway discovery, providing itself as the next hop gateway,
> local DHCP assignment (or relay to a DHCP server higher up), and 1:1
> NAT...  all on a per port basis.

Hmm, have you worked in this area, or are you just speculating?  I don't
know, but do many laptop users use static addresses?  I realize the want to
have a setup be all things for everyone, but do you really think you're
going to have one switch port for each and every room?

I guess that security could be one of the advertised features of your
rooms.... It really depends on what the hotel wants.

Mike