pon

When I installed kppp pon stopped working properly.
I have dsl and for those frequent times when it goes out I use dialup.
kppp dials but won't connect. pon used to dial and connect. Now pon does
not dial.
I have gotten some hints on writing new code on the kde reflector. HOWEVER,
I am a desktop user and the purpose of kde and pon is to get way from the
command line. I just want to replace win98. I don't want to take a course
in code writing.
Is there any way to repair pon?? Kppp seems hopeless judging from the mail
on that  reflector