Re: making own dep packages

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Grischa Schuering wrote:

> we customized a new apache-ssl deb package, by adding a module called
> zmod to it. We need this module here in Germany for statistical
> analysis.
> Now every time a new apache-ssl version (or security fix) is available
> our package is overwritten by apt-get dist-upgrade utility.
>
> What is the common way naming the custom versions of packages (or
> version number... etc), so that the package won't be auto-updated ???

Three suggestions:

1) can you not simply use dselect to put this package on hold?

2) perhaps modify the package name (e.g. apache-ssl-zmod) and put a
"provides apache-ssl" (I don't know, never tried the approach myself).

3) have a read of the documentation that comes with kernel-package, it
addresses these issues with regard to custom kernels.

HTH,
Neale.