Re: POP3 and SMTP server for an ISP

I recently saw this article on LWN
http://www.lwn.net/2001/0222/kernel.php3

Where it shows the problems with large ext2 directories and a possible
future solution. I was in the process of switch to maildirs and use
several servers with NFS instead, but this puts it all on the head. I dont
know if any current linux fs can show good performance with large
directories and also export this over NFS. ReiserFS seems good but lacks
in NFS if you dont apply some serious patches to the system, and I am
reluctant to do that in a production system.
Basically Sendmail seems to do okay, it's the pop3 server that shows
problems.

Regards
Roger Abgrahamsson

Roger Abrahamsson, Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB
Radhusespl.17D, S-90328 Umea, Sweden