Re: POP3 and SMTP server for an ISP

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-2] Litzler Mihály wrote:

> Would anybody so kind to give me advises about creating a mail system
> (pop3+smtp) hopefully based on MySQL?
> I'd so graceful if you only say something about your mailing system (if you
> have 4-5000 users), that's no problem if you have no MySQL.

I don't use MySQL. I use exim as my smtp. All my users are not real unix
users -- they are not in the /etc/passwd file. I have separate passwd
files and aliases files for each realm (domain). (A user doesn't need to
be in an aliases file to work.) The mailboxes are delivered to
separate directories for each realm. (I can have numerous users with the
same name.) Exim works good for this.

I use a heavily patched gnu-pop3d to support the separate passwd files and
mailbox locations. It works by IP (one IP per domain name) or by appending
the domain name to the POP3 USER name.

All, I need now is to make a simple management interface (web and
console) to add, remove, edit users (and their aliases).

(My next step is to force the use of a secure POP3 for my users.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net/
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/  -- BSD news and resources
  http://www.isp-faq.com/    -- find answers to your questions