Not really Debian

Sorry, I don't know where else to ask this.  I run a small Debian
server and handle it with dialup from a M$ W2K machine and pretty
good V90 modems.  (Sorry, no choice of OS for other reasons!)
I'm running into major problems suddenly with two different modems:
dial up links to the network then tends to lock up with no good flow in
either direction.  My hunch is that it's as bandwidth problem either at
the local exchange or my employer's internal wiring/switchboard but
employer's helpful person says line is fine.

Can anyone point me to any documents that would help with the
troubleshooting of speed/reliability tradeoffs and how to set them for
(M$) V90 and downwards?  I feel sure there must be some good
documents on the WWW about this.

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans <chris@visped.org or chris@psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy,
Rampton Hospital; Associate R&D Director,
Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust;
Hon. SL Institute of Psychiatry
*** My views are my own and not representative
of those institutions ***