Re: Routing Question

>>>>> "nr" == Nathan Ridge <ridgey@mackay.matilda.net.au> writes:

    nr> Im setting a broadband Internet connection on a Debian box, I
    nr> have the sat interface installed and working and can see the
    nr> icmp packets coming in from a ping on the sat interface using
    nr> tcpdump so im confident that side of things is working. I am
    nr> having a bit of trouble with the dialup.  Lets say our network
    nr> is 203.66.77.0, border gateway is 203.66.77.1 and have a Cisco
    nr> access server on the 203.66.77.11 and radius server on
    nr> 203.66.77.2.  Now if I assign a static ip from a dialup pool
    nr> on our network, say 203.66.77.55 I can ping out from the
    nr> dialup no problems, but the static needs to be that of the ip
    nr> address that is attached to the mac ID of the sat card so when
    nr> I change the static to 203.173.176.99, it connects to our
    nr> network, authenticates ok but cannot ping any machine except
    nr> for the access server 203.66.77.11.  I know I must just be
    nr> missing a route somewhere, and I was assuming on the access
    nr> server, but when I also setup a NT server with the same setup
    nr> it seem to work fine, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I'm not sure I've the picture completely clear (an ASCII scheme would
help); however, in my past experiences with satellite-based
connections, you have to make sure to disable the rp_filter on the
satellite interface:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/`your sat interface`/rp_filter

To see if this is necessary, try to:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/`your sat interface`/log_martians

and check your logs (on stock debian systems "martian" packets should
be logged in auth.log, I think).  If you see and martian packets being
blocked, I suggest you try to disable rp_filter on the sat interface.

By the way, what's your satellite provider?

Bye,

Andrea Glorioso
--
Non e' abbastanza fare dei passi che un giorno ci porteranno ad uno
scopo, ogni passo deve essere lui stesso uno scopo, nello stesso