Re: 3Com 3c982-TXM

Am 22:54 21.01.2001 +0100 hat Christian Kurz geschrieben:

>On 01-01-21 Michelle Konzack wrote:

>> This NIC has two channels 100/200 MBit and can do loadbalancing up to
>
>I don't believe that is has 200Mbit according to 3coms website at
>http://www.3com.com/products/nics/3c982sp.html. If it's a 10/100 PCI, it
>only has 100Mbit and not more.

Full-Duplex ???

>> 400 MBit or you can have one cannel for the UP-Link and one channel for
>
>I don't believe those 400Mbit as it looks very much like a NIC for a
>normal PC. And I doubt that a normal PC can handle 400Mbit.

It is a Dual-NIC !!!

>Hm, but then you have the server as the bottleneck, which gives you not
>a so much better network performance. I think using a dedicted router
>for such a job would be better.

Athlon 1,2GHz ???

>> But you need managed 3Com Superstack III   ;-))
>
>Which is good for 3com, because they earn more money from you.

You do not like 3Com ?

>> You can have two NICS paralel in your server and one died the other
>
>But you can also set up two servers with a fail-over-software, like
>heartbeat. Having one server gives you a single point of failure.

...and you need two Servers for around 25.000 DM each

>34MBit? You really want to use 34Mbit? And you still want to tell me
>that your customers need such a high bandwith? I don't really believe
>this values.

If you like to offer DSL to your customers, what do you for performance ?
e.g.
                        Up-Stream       Down-Stream
        T-DSL               128 kBit           768 kBit
        A-DSL           128-860 kBit         1,5-6 Mbit
        S-SDL              1536 kBit          1536 kBit

        Cabel-Modem  128kBit - 2MBit         2 -30 MBit

        Wave-Lan     64/128/256/384/512 kBit and unlimited 11 MBit

How many Clients Du you need or like to have ???

If you are ISDN-Access-Provider you have around 100-150 Clienst per MBit
and Crazzy ISP's 250 Clienst per MBit.

Because the speed of my FunkLAN with 512 kBit for each client I calculate
a maximum of 50 clients (home users) per MBit and 20 clients per MBit for
proffessional users.

I like to get 10% of all housholds in Kehl.
And I must calculate with 870 home users and I need 17.4 Mbit
Now I must calculate around 100 proffessional users and I need 5 MBit.

Then I must have a reserve vor my own Servers (virtual-Web-Servers,
pop3, ...) and my Online-Store-Server.

So I need a minimum of 34 MBit and the base price is 4990 DM/month
The smaller solution ist 2 MBit but you pay 1890 DM/month

And then you must pay the Traffic which is around 56 DM/GByte

I think, multiple 2 MBit lines are too expensive

>Ciao
>     Christian

Michelle