RE: network monitoring using graphs and status

I recommend using Big Brother.  http://www.bb4.com/
It has many features that you may want and if there isn't something you want
there are lots of plugins for it that may do what you want, or you can
always write your own.  A collection of plugins for BB can be found at
http://www.deadcat.net.

I use BigBrother with the Larrd plugin.  It shows graphs that are usefull.
(it can graph load average, and diskspace)

You can also configure bigbrother to alert you (via email or pager) when a
process is down, or if a machine is offline, or if the load is too high, or
diskspace low.