Re: Virtual email hosting, with exim and IMAP

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:

> 1    Minor issue, but any similar solutions using exim?  I moved from
> sendmail to exim on our servers last year, and would rather not learn qmail.
> It is probably easy, but I am lazy ;-)

Exim is great for virtual domains.

Look at these config samples (and others) from the website
http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC315

 C007, C009, C011, C015 and C016.

> 2    Major issue.  IMAP is required.  vmailmgr does not handle IMAP, at
> least not yet.

I have never tried it, but cyrus-imapd-sql has virtual domains support.
I don't know where docs are, but you can find it at
http://www.hazard.maks.net/.

> Users have no qualms logging in as user@domain.com , do not need shell
> access, or pine, need a choice between IMAP and POP-3.  In a pinch, they
> will contact me about changing passwords.  We heed dozens of domains, but
> only a few users per domain.  The names will clash, hence user@domain.com
> required.

I don't use IMAP, but I do use Exim and gnu-pop3d with a patch I wrote for
virtual domains. For info, check out
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/

> I am not sticky about it being free, as long as it is a few $100.   Of
> course, .debs that run on slink are appreciated.

If you want to pay to have an IMAP daemon patched to work with virtual
domains (separate passwd files and separate mail directories per domain),
let me know.

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net