Re: Very huge email service

At 04:42 PM 11/24/99 -0700, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>Speaking of mondo email systems, I was talking with a guy today who
>mentioned that their server would max out at 64K users.  It was a Linux

I believe that is the limit of the UID space.  I assume you can hack
something to increase it arbitrarily large.  But that would involve
increasing the address space, which is not as simple as changing a flag
somewhere and recompiling.  AKAIK, the address space is 16 bits which gives
you up to 65536 UID's (plus root).  The "default" UID space on Debian is
from 1000 to 29999.

So for VHES, it would be best to just bypass UID's altogether and use
another identification scheme.

Disclaimer -- I could be totally off base here, this is just AKAIK.

--