Re: Very huge email service

At 04:38 AM 11/25/99 -0500, Chris Wagner wrote:
>At 04:42 PM 11/24/99 -0700, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>>Speaking of mondo email systems, I was talking with a guy today who
>>mentioned that their server would max out at 64K users.  It was a Linux
>
>I believe that is the limit of the UID space.  I assume you can hack
>something to increase it arbitrarily large.  But that would involve
>increasing the address space, which is not as simple as changing a flag
>somewhere and recompiling.  AKAIK, the address space is 16 bits which gives
>you up to 65536 UID's (plus root).  The "default" UID space on Debian is
>from 1000 to 29999.
>
>So for VHES, it would be best to just bypass UID's altogether and use
>another identification scheme.
>
>Disclaimer -- I could be totally off base here, this is just AKAIK.

Initially I thought using POP before SMTP and autheticating via SQL
database would allow you to run POP daemon as single UID, just be sure to
force reauthentication when d/l mail from new/different mailboxes.

However, I have subsequently learned that implementing 32bit address spaces
are much simpler alternative.  See the Linux Highg UID Project
http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/systems/Linux/highuids/

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option- it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.