Re: Very huge email service

At 05:13 PM 11/24/99 -0500, Chris Wagner wrote:
>At 10:12 PM 11/24/99 +0100, WOL - Andreas Plesner Jacobsen wrote:
>>You're right, but this seemed like a public offer (don't know the
>>correct English word for this, and my dictionary is too old. What I
>>mean is: The state throwing this together, different providers giving
>>an offer, the cheapest wins)
>
>Bid. :)

>>Which btw would add more administration.
>
>You're right.  You have to come up with a good mix of central
>administratioon and decentralized equipment.  It's a tradeoff depending on
>whats more important to you.  One possibility would be to decentralize all
>the accounts and equipment but administer them from one central location.
>Many many ssh sessions. :)

Speaking of mondo email systems, I was talking with a guy today who
mentioned that their server would max out at 64K users.  It was a Linux
thing, and they were thinking of other Unix clones.  The only reason I see
this maxing out here is if they were authenticating via passwd, yet I
assume they would be using POP before SMTP and an SQL database.  Is there
some other factor that's eluding me here?

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option- it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.