Re: Mgetty not connecting at 56 Kbs

At 05:31 PM 11/21/99 +0000, Michael Koehne wrote:
>  The question is, has somebody written a 56k software host for linux yet ?
>  Those could tell if my "german fealing" is right or wrong :

AKAIK, the 56k ability is independant of the system the modem is connected
to.  As long as you pass it the correct init string to enable 56k, the 56k
negotiation takes place between the modem and the terminal server (or
digital modem) on the other side.

>  an ISP, and I know a lot of people who are working for other ISPs and
>  most tell, that a 56k is quite seldom. People from US report better 56k
>  statistiks, imho.

It probably has something to do with the digital to analog converters in
your CO's.  If they don't have high enough signal discrimination, the analog
output of the convertor won't be clean enough to squeeze that extra few
kilobits out of it.  I could go into excessive and unnecessary detail if you
like... :)

--