Re: Mgetty not connecting at 56 Kbs

Moin Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira,

> 	I'm having a hard time to configure mgetty on a 56 Kbs modem that can
> only connect at 38.400 bps.

  mgetty means that you want others to call you, and to offer 56kbs as a host!

  Now most modems only implement 56kbs as a client. The USR and the ZyXEL
  are known to work as hosts after a flash of new software. Both are expensive
  compared to the cheap client only modems! I wont recomend the ZyXEL because
  the box gets very hot, and could cause temperatur problems when installed
  in a rack.

  The next trap is your connection to your local telecom. You need an
  digital connection, if you want to serve as a host, as the real 56k
  host is the ISDN to analog converter installed next the partner that
  calls your system. For this reasons most ISPs do'nt install modems, but
  other equipment that is able to serve 30 lines of both ISDN and 56k
  intermixed.

  The question is, has somebody written a 56k software host for linux yet ?
  Those could tell if my "german fealing" is right or wrong :

  The last trap may be germany - I have the ugly fealing that our improved
  but nonstandard 64k ISDN course most 56k modems to fail. I'm working for
  an ISP, and I know a lot of people who are working for other ISPs and
  most tell, that a 56k is quite seldom. People from US report better 56k
  statistiks, imho.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'