Re: Disabling IPv6 by default when creating a new namespace in Linux

Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is not available i.e. net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 i.e. net.ipv6 itself is not available.

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6
sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6: No such file or directory

I want to enable and disable IPv6 when the Linux box is up and running.

Sysctls worked but not for new namespaces. Is this a limitation of Linux?

BTW, the value is still 0 for disable_ipv6

$ cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6
0

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.
>
> I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:

You need to make the change in your boot loader.  grub or whatever.
That's where the kernel command line is set.

E.g edit /etc/default/grub and add ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 to the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable, and then run update-grub to produce a new
/boot/grub/grub.cfg configuration file.

Bjørn