Re: Disabling IPv6 by default when creating a new namespace in Linux

Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.

I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

I saved the file.

I rebooted my VM.

After reboot, I check the value of "/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6". It is still 0.

As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is this a bug in the kernel code?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> writes:

> On my system I see the following values:
>
> $cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6
> 0

Yes, that's the default unless you change it..

> Are you suggesting that "cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6"
> should be 1?

Yes, And if you boot with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" on the command line,
then it will be.

Bjørn