Re: DHCPv6 support in Debian

[...]

 IS> dhcp3-server -- apparently lacks IPv6 support; OTOH, ISC DHCP 4 is
 IS> not in Debian, IIUC;

 AM> There are a couple of DHCPv6 servers.

 IS> Namely, dibbler-server and wide-dhcpv6-server.  Does anyone have an
 IS> experience of using these?  How do these compare to the ISC DHCP
 IS> 4.x (w. r. t. the DHCPv6 support)?

 AM> DHCP does not support IPv6 and needs a completely new protocol.

 IS> Do you mean the ISC DHCP implementation specifically?

 AM> OK, so it appears that the ISC DHCP server now includes DHCPv6
 AM> support, but it is still a different protocol.

	Yes.  It's a bit unfortunate that the name of implementation now
	references just one of the two protocols actually implemented.

 AM> I haven't used that for DHCPv6 myself - I use wide-dhcpv6 which
 AM> works just fine (for the subset of the values of 'fine' which
 AM> DHCPv6 supports, sadly) and I have tried dibbler but with limited
 AM> success.

	ACK.

 AM> Of course on the LAN the normal address assignment process is with
 AM> radvd, rather than DHCPv6, which works well if unfortunately
 AM> without providing some of the other settings that DHCPv4 is capable
 AM> of.

	Actually, what I hope to find is the possibility for the DHCPv6
	session to trigger a DNS (AAAA RR) update.  I don't know if it's
	possible at all given the DHCPv6 implementations listed above,
	neither do I actually believe that it's the Right Way to do.

 AM> I think these issues are more to do with the design of RA being
 AM> older than the design of DHCPv4, and the likelihood that we will do
 AM> things differently in a v6 world.  Certainly I find that running v6
 AM> at home I tend to think a little differently about networks.

	I've found that IPv6 brought to me a completely different view
	at computer networks.  In particular, I was quite surprised that
	a lot of the IPv4 stuff I did for years (NAT, SSH and HTTP
	CONNECT tunneling, application protocols proxies, etc. -- all
	this to overcome the ``RFC 1918 problem'') is not of that acute
	necessity in the IPv6 world.

	... And, for the sake of an experiment, I'm currently running an
	IPv6 network with my colleagues at work.

[...]

 IS> Yet again, I see no traces of ISC DHCP 4.x in Debian Sid.

 AM> No, I guess not, but there are good alternatives.

	I guess I'll have to try them.

	(Packaging ISC DHCP 4 could probably be a worthwhile experience,
	too.)

--
FSF associate member #7257