Re: DHCPv6 support in Debian

On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 11:22 +0700, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> [...]
>
>  IS> dhcp3-server -- apparently lacks IPv6 support; OTOH, ISC DHCP 4 is
>  IS> not in Debian, IIUC;
>
>  AM> There are a couple of DHCPv6 servers.
>
> 	Namely, dibbler-server and wide-dhcpv6-server.  Does anyone have
> 	an experience of using these?  How do these compare to the ISC
> 	DHCP 4.x (w. r. t. the DHCPv6 support)?
>
>  AM> DHCP does not support IPv6 and needs a completely new protocol.
>
> 	Do you mean the ISC DHCP implementation specifically?

OK, so it appears that the ISC DHCP server now includes DHCPv6 support,
but it is still a different protocol.  I haven't used that for DHCPv6
myself - I use wide-dhcpv6 which works just fine (for the subset of the
values of 'fine' which DHCPv6 supports, sadly) and I have tried dibbler
but with limited success.

Of course on the LAN the normal address assignment process is with
radvd, rather than DHCPv6, which works well if unfortunately without
providing some of the other settings that DHCPv4 is capable of.

I think these issues are more to do with the design of RA being older
than the design of DHCPv4, and the likelihood that we will do things
differently in a v6 world.  Certainly I find that running v6 at home I
tend to think a little differently about networks.

> --cut: https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/4.1.1b2 --
>     ISC DHCP 4.1.x will have several new DHCPv6 features that were not
>     in DHCP 4.0.x.  These are planned to include:
>
>       * Support for the rapid-commit option on the client side
>
>       * Prefix Delegation support
>
>       * IA_TA address support
>
>       * A basic DHCPv6 relay agent, dhcrelay6
> --cut: https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/4.1.1b2 --
>
> 	Yet again, I see no traces of ISC DHCP 4.x in Debian Sid.

No, I guess not, but there are good alternatives.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
                Necessity is the mother of documentation