Re: exim relay and ipv6

Hi Nick,

Nick Schmalenberger <nick@schmalenberger.us> wrote:

>> > dc_relay_nets in update-exim4.conf.conf and MAIN_RELAY_NETS in
>> > exim4.conf.localmacros but it didn't help. I then tried using Icedove
>> > and the smtp authentication worked, from the same machine and again over
>> > IPv6, so it looks like the smtp authentication client in exim has a
>> > problem.
>> >
>> >   SMTP>> EHLO athena.relaydomain
>> >   SMTP<< 250-nick.relaydomain Hello athena.relaydomain [2001:4830:1547:1:205:2ff:feb7:63d8]
>> >          250-SIZE 52428800
>> >          250-PIPELINING
>> >          250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
>> >          250 HELP
>> >   SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<nick@relaydomain> SIZE=1406
>>
>> You exim client does not even try to authenticate, although advertised.
>> I have no clue of exim, but browsing through the documentation it looks
>> like you need to adjust the options host_require_auth and/or
>> host_try_auth
>>
>> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_33.html#SECT33.5
>>
>> that probably only lists the IPv4 address at the moment.
>>
> Thanks for the link, I think it put me on the right track, but I still
> don't have smtp relay over ipv6 working yet. I think the problem is that
> the ipv6 subnet on my mail server has no reverse hostnames because of a
> bad delegation I put in with hurricane electric that hasn't been updated
> to the correct name servers.

I don't think this is the case. What is the current content of your
$hosts_require_auth and $hosts_try_auth variables? A crosschecking
reverse -> forward is usually done by the server side, but in your case
the client does not invoke the authentication, although offered by the
server. Unfortunately I don't have much clue of debugging Exim, so I
can't give you more hints here.

Regards,
Bernhard