Re: Odd behavoiur of one machine - radvd failing?

Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 11:16:23AM +0100, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>Enabling promiscuous mode & leaving it a few minutes on the fa311 makes
>>it start working.  I'll have to stick a line in /etc/network/interfaces
>>until I get a better card.
>

> Or just upgrade your kernel.  The card is OK from my experiences, and

I'm on 2.4.18 - there's nowhere to upgrade to yet... unless I go to 2.5.x which I'm not brave enough for at the moment.

> the driver saw a fair bit of development since the 2.4 kernel's
> original release.  According to the changelog, multicast was fixed in
> version 1.0.7 of the driver (which corresponds to which Linux kernel,
> exactly?  Damn this lack of revision control.).

Looks like they broke it again....

> The changelogs indicate that performance related work was done as well,
> so you might find that you aren't so desperate to replace the cards if
> you upgrade the software that drives them...

The performance of these cards does suck badly. It sucks in Windows too so I don't think it's just the driver - although the driver quality on these cards is far from great (the card was originally bought for a windows box that I didn't care much about, but the driver kept blue-screening so I had to swap it with my 3com).

Tony