Re: USAGI IPv6 patches

¡Hola!

> So from what I gather it seems that Debian is going to ship an
> ipv6 toolkit which is known to only work with the USAGI patches.

No, we're not going to do that. We cannot do that. We need to work
with mainstream kernels. But some semantics of usermode programming
on linux force us to do some things that are "ugly". So we ask you
to evaluate (we're not looking for a commit to apply anything we
send to you, but just to evaluate) some patches that change these
things that are very important for us.

That's why i asked you to do something like the Apache inclusion
of SGI patches. The SGI guy is adapting the patches until the Apache
team say they're ok, but there is not commit to apply them, just to
evaluate.

> These patches, which we have been bombarded with requests to include
> into the main tree, are being stated by its' main developers as not
> "ready for inclusion" yet, not even a simple extracted DOUBLE_BIND
> patch?

> I really am furious that people have made such a stink about the USAGI
> ipv6 patches, claiming that our ipv6 in the main kernel is "too broken
> to use".  I am going to take such USAGI ipv6 propaganda with a grain
> of salt in the future.

I'm not aware of anybody from the Debian project that has said that
mainstream kernel is "too broken to use". If I said something that
could be understand as if I did, i'm sorry.

> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@redhat.com

					HoraPe