Re: Interix Installation Issue

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:03:04 +0200 (CEST)
Martin Koeppe <mkoeppe@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Brian Amundsen wrote:
>
> > System = Interix
> > Node = Highcrest
> > Release = 3.5
> > Version = SP-8.0.1969.57
> > Machine = x86
> > Processor = AMD_x86_Family15_Model14_Stepping10
> > HostSystem = Windows
> > HostRelease = SP3
> > HostVersion = 5.1
> >
> > debootstrap.log follows:
> > Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
>
> strange.
>
> > Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
> > Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
> > /tmp/install/debootstrap[439]: cannot create /dev/null: Device not
> > configured ar: ///: No such device
> >
> > zcat: stdin: unexpected end of file
> > dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2
> > package `dpkg': error in Version string `': version string is empty
> > dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2
> > package
> >
> > Attempting to run makedev resulted in
> > $ cd /usr/sbin
> > $ ksh makedev
> > makedev[1]: Mze.........: not found
> > makedev[2]:  syntax error: ....... text' unexpected
>
> makedev is no ksh script, it's a binary. Just run
> /usr/sbin/makedev
>
> If that's not marked executable, you should probably reinstall
> everything.
>
> Martin
>

> > It almost looks like I have some corruption.  I did run all this
> > from a user account ksh but with login as Administrator and
> > verified that I was the Administrator.
> >
> > Maybe I'll have to uninstall SFU and start over from scratch.

Martin,

I uninstalled SFU, and deleted the SFU folder.  I then rebooted and
re-installed SFU, then three key fixes for SFU 3.2 (KB 913030, 929141,
and 942312). The tty and /dev/null errors did not reappear.

I then ran the debian-interix install from the /SFU/tmp folder as your
installation notes indicate.  I attempted to run the install from a
windows user account through ksh login to the Administator account.
The install would not complete unless I instead logged in to windows as
the Administrator and then logged in as Administrator in ksh.   Then the
debian install ran.  My windows user account is in the administrator
group, but for some reason it seems the install must be the real
administrator.

When I look at the debootstrap.log I see dependency problems with the
following:
 tcpd
 gettext-base
 man-db
 libgdbm3
 libgcrypt11
 libpopt0
 libgpg-error0
 libssl0.9.8
 ed
 liblzo1
 wget
 groff-base
 libdb4.6
 libdb4.5
 libpcre3
 perl
 nano
 apt-utils
 cpio
 libwrap0
 liblockfile1
 perl-modules

Do I need to install each of these seperately at this point of the
installation process?  How do I resolve the dependency issues?

I ran the apt-get update and the apt-get upgrade.  I additionally now
have a warning about "dialog" not being installed for lack of a
dependency. I noted in your installation instructions possible errors
from dialog and to run an apt-get dialog install.  This didn't seem to
address the error. Are there any suggestions for how to proceed to get
dialog to finish correctly?  Or what information would assist you in
trouble shooting this issue?

Best Regards,
Brian Amundsen
IN GOD WE TRUST