Re: Local Admin question

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, David Given wrote:

On which OS you are (uname -X)? The hotfixes are most important for SFU
3.5, for the others the SUA components get updated with standard service
packs also, so these are not that outdated.

Interix dg-pc 3.5 SP-8.0.1969.1 x86 Intel_x86_Family6_Model15_Stepping10

Right now I'm unable to get hold of the hotfixes because the MS website
doesn't seem to be working (unless it's just started up again...).

Install at the very least this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913030/en-us
I saw and see no problems with the website in the last days. At the top-left I see:
  Hotfix Download Available
  View and request hotfix downloads

What symptoms will I see if I don't have them?
Read the KB articles!

(a) I get failures during debootstrap due to not being able to find
chroot. I added /usr/sbin to my path (which wasn't there by default) and
tried again.

Good point, I'll change the install doc accordingly.

I'm actually having a number of path problems, due to incompatibilities
between the Interix tools and the Debian tools. e.g., installing some
packages doesn't work unless Debian's install is first on the path, but
other tools such as id behave funny unless the Interix version is seen
first.

What kind of problems does "id" cause for you? I can't remember any, and am just curious. You may also replace some of the core utils with the Debian versions, see:
http://debian-interix.net/debian-interix/bootstrap-tools/coreutils/bin.tgz

I have noticed that Interix symlinks /usr/bin -> /bin, which I suspect
is going to confuse Debian.

This shouldn't confuse Debian. I saw and fixed some (very few) packages with that issue, but these packages are rare. If you encounter such a package, please report.

[...]
PRIV_END: seteuid: Network is down

Hmm, on SFU 3.5 it works for me, even as normal domain user. You
probably are on something newer, are you? Do you try login with password
or password-less? (The latter probably won't work.) Is your local and/or
remote home drive on a network share?

Nope, both local. Searching the SUA forums showed up this post:

http://www.suacommunity.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=11719

To cite Rodney: When you do an "id -D" what do you get for an output?
If you take the uid from the above command and do "id <uid>" what happens?

No other information, and AD is something I know very little about. I am
on a machine on a remote domain, if that makes any difference.

What do you mean by "remote domain"?

One other oddity I've noticed: apt-get source fails after the downloads
with 'Failed to create child process'. OTOH dpkg-source -x works fine.

Those kind of errors may be fixed by the core hotfixes (those which update posix.exe, psxdll.dll, psxss.exe, psxrun.exe).

Martin