Re: ia64 qualification for Wheezy

Hi Aníbal,

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar wrote:

> I'm happy to test a possible fix for #638068 on my ia64 machines.
>
> Does someone have a hint about fixing it?

Émeric seems to have had luck working around the problem by using
busybox instead of klibc[1].

Thorsten mentioned that some low-level voodoo will probably be
needed before klibc is properly fixed[2]:

| I’ve just put some 「write(2, "here1\n", 6)」 style debugging
| into klibc’s libc_main.c and found out that shared binaries
| seem to crash before reaching __libc_main there. And I cannot
| debug an ELF interpreter with gdb, or at least I don’t know
| how. Would an IA64 expert please look at this? (Note the way
| how klibc does shared binaries is… special.)

For the short term, perhaps someone interested could take
inspiration from Émeric's instructions and write a patch for
initramfs-tools to disable use of klibc on ia64?

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2012/04/msg00004.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2012/05/msg00022.html