Re: DRM/DRI accelerated (3D) graphics?

Dear Émeric,

On 20-8-2011 12:29, Émeric Maschino wrote:
OK. So it might be possible one day to have AGP 3D hardware
acceleration with something more powerful than two Itanium 2
single-core 1.5-GHz/6-MB L3 cache CPUs: rx2620 accepts up to two
Itanium 2 dual-core 1.6-GHz/18-MB L3 cache CPUs
(http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12141_div/12141_div.HTML).

Yes, but those are extremely expensive, even used/second-hand.  I have the
SL8CWs instead (which are not far behind, at all, obviously).

What an improvement in horsepower, although I frankly doubt it will
change anything with respect to 3D performances, if GPU acceleration
is successfully working of course.

That depends, but I think you're right; especially where it has been designed
to explicitly take advantage, or to rely on, the GPU.  (But that naturally
goes without saying...)

Strangely enough, I can find references of rx2620-2 that is less
expandable than rx2620
(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00271397
vs abovehttp://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12141_div/12141_div.HTML).
Do you have any information on this rx2620-2 server?

That document is lacking in information, unless I'm mistaken; the "-2"
series (like the rx2600-2 as well) are simply the remarketed/remanufactured
Integrity systems.  (Systems which were obviously fairly popular, in
relatively high demand.)  For example, the first rx2600s were in a beige/
light gray plastic.  The newer ones, including the rx2600-2s, were marketed
with the darker gray/anthracite bezel (like the later rx2620 and others
as well).

To be totally sure, I'd inquire on the HP ECB (the ITRC-successor) forum.

I don't know if this issue is related to PCI-X/PCIe confusion.

Do you mean lexically or technically?

Since your rx2620 probably has more CPU power than my zx6000, we
should see same FPS if acceleration is done by GPU. If FPS are
higher on your system, then 3D acceleration would be probably
done by CPU.

Good call, I'll definitely look into that.  First, I need to get Linux
installed at all to be able to test it though...

Strange. I had no problem installing latest Squeeze 6.0.2.1 on the 3rd
HDD in my zx6000 a week ago (or so). I've since then upgraded it to
Wheezy.

Maybe the fact that I installed it onto a disk in a DS2100 (HP SureStore
Disk System 2100, Ultra320 SCSI disk array) it somehow caused issues...?
That would be very unusual though, since it's simply a SCSI disk inside an
external enclosure basically.

I'll try to just install it on a disk within the rx2620 physically, to see
if that should make any difference...  Strange that it'd only fail at the
ELILO installation phase.

Kind regards,

Marco