Re: [Fwd: ia64 netinstboot image]

Khalid Aziz wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 09:45 -0600, dann frazier wrote:

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 02:25:31PM +0400, Paul A. Anokhin wrote:

It seems like a half of this maillist traffic is generated by people
mistakingly trying to use ia64 instead of x86-64 version. And I have
to admit that compared to the rest of the internet this is pretty good
error ratio :)

Probably the ia64 port should be named something like "ipf" or
"itanium" to avoid confusion. After all, ia64 is no longer the
official name for the architecture AFAIK, and I think the change was
caused by the same reason.

Renaming a port because of something like this isn't really an option
- a better answer, imo, would be to modify the ia64 cds to display a
splash screen on x86 hardware that explains the issue.

--
dann frazier

How would ia64 CD display anything on x86 if it can not boot even???

presumably a multi-arch boot image:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r4a/multi-arch/iso-cd/

--
Brian Szymanski