Re: Kernel panic after kernel update.

First, can you tell which mainboard you have, which SATA controller you
have or is it onboard.

Next. You should note that starting some kernel version there are NO
hotplug. It got to be depricated. Udev sits it's place. Kernel 2.6.15 is
already without hotplug.

About boot loader. I didn't used elilo, so I can't tell how to deal with
it. I use grub. In grub you can edit boot parameters from withing the
boot menu.

My recommendations, install 2.6.16 or later kernel from backports.org.

And, btw, now I remember I played with 64bit kernels for Intel Pentium
and got no luck. So my suggestions - first get to work plain 32bit
kernel. After doing that successfuly you can try 64bit variant and see
the difference.

BTW, do you have Intel Itanium 64, Intel Pentium 64 or AMD * 64?

--
Покотиленко Костик <casper@meteor.dp.ua>