Re: Kernel panic after kernel update.

Can someone please respond to my question over here? This *is* the right forum, isn't it?

Spundun Bhatt wrote:
Hi debian-ia64.

I updated the kernel on my debian linux testing from linux-image-2.6.12-1-mckinley to linux-image-2.6.15-1-mckinley .

When I rebooted, I got the error saying the following (very early in the boot).

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I suspect that the new kernel bootloader configuration is pointing to a non-existing location for root partition...

Can anyone guide me as to how to debug this problem?
Also is there any literature available that will help me understand how linux boot loader works on debian on ia64? I mean what are the packages responsible for installing the bootloaders and where can I find the configuration so that I can check whether its right or not, etc?

Thanks a lot

Spundun