Re: Has anyone ever got Debian to install on an SGI Altix?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 04:14:58PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
| On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 16:39 -0500, Greg Edwards wrote:
| > |
| > | Great, thanks.  I've been given access to an Altix box as well (thanks
| > | Ian), so I might be able to help.
| >
| > console output is stopping when busybox init is run.  I added a set -x to
| > sbin/init and saw:
| >
| > + uname -r
| > + grep ^2.2.
| > + [  =  ]
| > + mount /proc
| > + umount initrd
| > + true
| > + mount -t tmpfs -o size=100M tmpfs /mnt
| > + :
| > + umount /proc
| > + ls -1 /
| > + grep -v \(dev\|lost+found\|mnt\|proc\)
| > + cp -a bin etc floppy init initrd lib preseed.cfg sbin sys tmp usr var
| > /mnt
| > + cd /mnt
| > + pivot_root . initrd
| > + mkdir proc dev
| > + [ -x /sbin/udevstart ]
| > + /lib/debian-installer/init-udev-devices
| > + mount /proc
| > + exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /bin/busybox init
| > [... no more ...]
| >
| > The box is still up at this point, as I was able to enter kdb (I had
| > kdb built into a kernel I had shoehorned in).  Interestingly, the kdb
| > output showed on the screen, but I never got the kdb prompt, so something
| > is messing with the console (ttySG0 is the console on Altix).
|
| Yes - this is exactly what I saw w/ 2.6.8.  Is this w/ the latest d-i
| build w/ a 2.6.12 kernel?

I couldn't get the d-i (from svn) to build on my box, so I pulled the
initrd apart from the latest daily images

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/ia64/20050820/

which I think was still 2.6.8-based.  Anyway, I repopulated with a
2.6.13 + LSI SAS + kdb kernel and modules and saw the same thing.

| > SuSE (and Red Hat too, I believe) have relocatable turned on all the ia64
| > boxes by default.  It doesn't have an adverse effect on those platforms
| > that don't require it.  If you need to check for Altix, you could look
| > for the existence of /proc/sgi_sn.  This will be present on any
| > Altix/Prism system.
|
| Well, I'm told its a problem for 2.4 kernels.  Debian still includes a
| 2.4.27 (though we'll drop it before etch).

Ah, forgot about 2.4.x kernels.  You're right, it would probably cause
problems there.

I'm leaving on vacation now for a couple weeks, but I'll look at this
again when I get back.

Greg