Re: Has anyone ever got Debian to install on an SGI Altix?

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 16:55 +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
> I've been looking into trying to install Debian on an SGI Altix (in
> this case, a really baby Altix - one of the new Altix 330 machines).
>
> I realise this is probably a forlorn hope, but we'd like to see just
> how difficult it is.  With most of the SGI-specific stuff now in the
> upstream kernel sources, it seems not beyond the realms of possibility.

Actually I tried to get this working on an Altix by ending debug d-i
drops to Jesse Barnes a while back.  I determined that reading/writing
from /dev/console started to silently fail once busybox init started -
anytime before it worked fine.  The standard debian kernel seemed to
work in his Fedora userspace, it was seemingly just a d-i issue.
Unfortunately, the debug cycle was too high latency so I never finished
it.

Its good to hear that d-i can work with the right kernel.  I'd love to
know when standard Debian kernels aren't working, especially if someone
can tell me what's wrong (or give me access to a box remotely to fix
it).

Once Altix was known to work, my plan is to add an option to the elilo
graphical menu for an Altix console that will automatically append the
proper console option.