Re: evolution patch now 30 days old and counting...

On 20 Jan 2004, David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>   Martin> I'll forward it.
>   >> Well, as far as I'm concerned, the Debian bug system provides
>   >> zero value to me (well, negative value, actually), so I doubt I'm
>   >> going to bother with it in the future.
>
>   Martin> If you want, you can send any patches through me and I will
>   Martin> follow up on them.
>
> I'm not looking for special favors.  I'm stunned at the "this is
> normal" reaction that I'm getting after reporting that a bugreport
> _with an available patch_ has gone _completely unanswered_ for 30 days
> (even after a polite direct inquiry to the author).  In fact, I was
> convinced that the maintainer had vanished from the surface of the
> earth, but I just found an evolution-related email from him dated 20
> Jan 2004, so I guess he's still around.

It's not unique to Debian; I have had correct kernel patches go
unanswered for longer than that, and I'm sure many other people have
as well.  Even after writing a patch, a certain amount of prompting is
sometimes needed to get it in.

I actually said "not unheard-of"; it's definitely on the bad end of
normal.  I would guess that this particular one went to the bottom of
the pile because few people run Evolution on ia64.

--
Martin