Re: evolution patch now 30 days old and counting...

On 20 Jan 2004, David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>   >> Can anyone on this list do something about it?
>
>   Martin> It looks like the patch is not Debian-specific so you might
>   Martin> have much better luck passing it straight to the upstream
>   Martin> Evolution developers.  If they accept it, you can add the
>   Martin> 'pending' (?) tag and a note to the bug.
>
>   Martin> It's generally better not to have Debian-specific patches so
>   Martin> probably all the maintainer would do is pass it upstream.
>   Martin> Sometimes they're not sufficiently confident with the source
>   Martin> to know whether a patch is good or not.
>
> What?  You're saying the package won't get fixed until upstream gets
> fixed?

Look at it this way:

The right place for the bug to be fixed is upstream, isn't it?  Do you
really want the bug to be independantly re-fixed in every
distribution?  No.  So sooner or later, it needs to get to the
Evolution developers.

You can either send it yourself, or feel bad that the maintainer
didn't forward it yet.  I can forward it for you if it makes you feel
better. :-)

Sometimes the Debian maintainer will take a patch without going
upstream, because the upstream is asleep (e.g. mutt) but this is
bad and unusual.

> And I suppose even then we'll be at the good grace of Kitame
> to actually update the Debian package?

It's relatively easy to say to the maintainer "there is a new upstream
release, please update".  That's a less risky thing for him to do than
to apply a patch that he's probably not even able to test if he
doesn't have an ia64.  Also, when there's a new upstream, you won't be
the only one asking for an update.

--
Martin