Re: script to check for guaranteed-to-crash-your-app warnings

Hi Torsten,

  Torsten> On 2004-01-06, David Mosberger wrote:

  >> OK, here is a more credible list of offenders.

  Torsten> I found more, but the list is still incomplete:

  Torsten> acm acm4 ayttm beep-media-player bow brltty
  Torsten> cfengine2 classpath control-center

I checked on these, and it looks like Lamont Jones already caught them
and submitted bug reports.

  Torsten> battfink blender

I didn't see bug reports for these, but I think that may be because
they don't build for ia64 at the moment?

On a related note: there seem to be a number of packages which do
unsafe type-casting.  Those apps are likely to break in subtle ways
(see recent freetype2 experience) and I suspect that in the short
term, those packages should be compiled with -fno-strict-aliasing.
This is likely to hurt performance somewhat and it would be cleaner to
fix the root-causes instead, but that's not entirely trivial and is
something that would have to be done in sync with the upstream
maintainers---definitely not a quick fix.

I attached the list of packages whose log files I had and showed
instances of the dreaded ``dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules'' warning.

	--david

alsa-lib
anjuta